Best Riding Mower / Lawn Tractor– Top 5 Rankings Based on User Reviews
Most of us have faced the arduous task of mowing a lawn with a walk-behind mower. Consequently, many hours a week are consumed doing basic lawn maintenance. If you have a middle or large sized lawn or acreage that includes a lot of lawn maintenance, then investing in a riding mower or tractor is a no-brainer to save you time and effort. However, you’ll want to research the best riding mower in order to find one that is reliable and suits your lawn’s needs.
Luckily, HowtoGardenLawn.com has assembled a starter Top 5 list based on user reviews to help you find the best riding mower. We have only included riding lawn mowers that can be easily shipped to your front door. However, the list still includes a diverse set of premium lawn mower brands with a variety of mower sizes and functions for any type of landscape. In this competitive market, all of these products have great strengths with very few weaknesses. Take a look at our “Top 5 Best Riding Mowers,” but remember to choose the product (or one that is related) that is most suitable for your lawn mowing needs!
Top 5 Best Riding Mower/Tractor Mowers:
#1 Swisher ZTR2454KA Response 24HP 54-Inch Kawasaki ZTR Mower (Best Riding Mower)
- New rapid response control system
- 24 Hp Kawasaki FR730V Engine
- 54 in. Cutting deck with 3 Gator mulching blades
- Hydro Gear 2800 transmission
- 8 MPH forward and reverse
Pros: Briggs & Stratton engine, 360 degree zero turn capability, premium brand with 60+ years experience, commercial grade steel frame and parts, full engine wrap, exceptional build quality, 2 year engine + 3 year comprehensive warranty.
Cons: Initial investment cost (but usually much cheaper online than in-store), small sample review size.
#2 Poulan Pro 967331001 P54ZX Briggs V-Twin Pro 24 HP Cutting Deck Zero Turn Radius Riding Mower
- 24 HP Briggs v-twin pro engine
- 54-Inch stamped reinforced deck 10 year warranty
- Hydro gear EZT transmission
- Electric clutch
- 3.5 Gallon fuel tank
Pros: Briggs & Stratton engine, 54-inch reinforced steel deck with 10 year warranty, hydro gear EZT transmission, 360 degree turn capability, independent wheel , control, welded frame, 3 year limited warranty.
Cons: Not as premium of a build quality as Swisher ZTR2454BS.
#3 Husqvarna 960430211 YTA18542 18.5 hp Fast Continuously Varilable Transmission Pedal Tractor Mower, 42″
- FAST auto transmission for a maintenance free operation
- Air Induction mowing technology improves airflow within the deck, ensuring a consistent cut every time
- Convenient fender mounted deck lever is spring assisted for easy operation
- Deck wash port to easily connect your water hose to the underside of your deck for washing
- 3 year limited, 5 year frame/chassis and front axle consumer warranty
Pros: Price (excellent bang for buck), practicality, Briggs & Stratton engine, 13 gauge steel deck, automatic transmission, fully assembled delivery, 3 year limited + 5 year frame warranty, trusted brand, excellent user reviews, great handling.
Cons: Much smaller deck width (42 inches), can only handle 15 degree incline, not as robust as the the Poulan or Swisher products, great 16 inch turn ratio, but not zero turn radius, smaller wheels
#4 Husqvarna 967271501 46″ 20HP Briggs and Stratton Zero Turn Lawn Mower
- Air Induction Mowing Technology allows for air to be drawn from the top and bottom of the deck, improving grass lift and delivering a superior cut
- The stamped steel cutting deck is reinforced with heavy flat-stock steel for added strength and durability on the leading edge and trim side
- Worry free performance with maintenance free, integrated zero-turn transmissions
- The rugged frame and casters ensure durability and reduced chassis flex
- The deck lift system is spring assisted for ease of use and conveniently located within easy reach of the operator
Pros: Moderate price, Briggs & Stratton engine, outstanding durability, smooth hydrostatic transmission, 13 gauge steel deck, zero turn capable, 3 year limited + 5 year frame warranty, trusted brand, moderately sized deck (46 inches)
Cons: 2 mower blades, excellent but limited user reviews
#5 Troy-Bilt 382cc 30-Inch Premium Neighborhood Riding Lawn Mower
- Powered by a 382cc Auto Choke OHV engine with top forward speeds of 4.25 MPH and a 6-speed transmission
- The 30-Inch cutting deck featuring 5 adjustable settings couples the benefits of a standard riding mower with the size of a wide cut walk behind mower
- Designed with an 18-Inch turning radius with 13×5-inch front wheels and 16×6.5-inch rear wheels
- Manual power take-off for fast and easy blade engagement
- This neighborhood mower is ideal for standard land owners with a medium sized landscape and relatively even terrain
Pros: Price (most economical on the list), practicality, light-weight, excellent user reviews, trusted brand, ideal for medium sized landscapes, comfort and reliability
Cons: 30-inch cutting deck limits capability, 18 inch turn radius, small wheels, only 2 year limited warranty, some assembly required
In conclusion, we wish you luck in your hunt for the best riding mower or lawn tractor! If you’re going to invest in a riding mower, then it is definitely worth spending a bit of extra money on one that is durable and reliable. Also, avoid buying a riding mower that will not live up to your mowing requirements. For example, if you have a yard with a lot of obstacles or a large slope, you will need to upgrade to a riding mower that can handle more heavy-duty tasks. Finally, the last thing you want to do is waste your money, so choose a mower with a decent warranty. If customer service is a high priority, then choose a great manufacturer. Basically, once you find a model you think is a good fit, do your homework before you pull the trigger!
Alternatively, if you’re looking for the best robotic lawn mower or walk-behind mower, check out these other articles:
Best Robotic Lawn Mower – Top 5
Best Electric Mower – Top 5 Lawn Mower Rankings 2017
Best Self-Propelled Mower – Top 5 Lawn Mower Rankings 2017
Now saddle up and tackle some turf!