How to Kill Weeds in Your Lawn, no BS – 3 Easy Weed Killer Methods!
Weeds suck – they are annoying and unsightly; weeds detract from the majesty of a lush, perfectly manicured lawn. Moreover, weeds are stubborn and somehow have the strength of Hercules and Rambo combined. Unfortunately, a lot of weed killer products suck, too.
Let’s face it: Pulling weeds by hand is one of the most ungodly tasks ever. If you ever need to punish someone, get them to pull weeds with their hands for an hour or two.
What is the best weed killer method or most effective herbicide? As mentioned, some weed killer products we’ve used in the past are huge disappointments. However, these leafy intruders can be dealt with in a matter of minutes. HowtoGardenLawn.com will teach you how to kill weeds for good – in just a couple of easy steps to boot!
Here are 3 Easy Weed Killer Methods to Spot Kill Weeds:
(If you’re looking to kill your entire lawn and start fresh, check out this post instead: How to Kill Entire Lawn & All Weeds for a Fresh Start)
These methods are best performed any time weeds are actively growing – think Spring!
Method 1: Pull Weeds and Root Systems
- Buy a Weeder. Seriously, they are easily worth the money to save your time, effort, knees, hands and back! Pro Tip: Although some claw-style weeders are highly rated, we DO NOT recommend them because the eject mechanisms often jam quite easily and can cause injury over time. Instead, we highly recommend: recommend:
ProPlugger 5-in-1 Lawn & Garden Planting Tool or the Radius Garden 20505 PRO Ergonomic Stainless Steel Weeder
- Line the weeder up with the head of the weed. Manually remove the weed and root system by simply stepping on the platform of the weeder.
- Eject the weed by turning the Proplugger upside-down. (Tip: Packed earth may get stuck in the tube of the weeder if your ground is very compact or wet, so adjust the amount you fill accordingly or buy the Radius Garden Weeder to avoid complications).
Pros: Most effective, economic, eco-friendly
Cons: Time consuming, requires effort
Method 2: Spray Weeds with Selective Herbicide (Weed Killer)
- Buy a concentrated SELECTIVE herbicide + a sprayer. We have had excellent results with:
Recommended weed killer: ORTHO KILLEX Lawn Weed Killer Concentrate, 1L or Orth Weed B Gon Weed Killer for Lawns Concentrate, 1-Gallon.
Recommended sprayer: Chapin 20000 1-Gallon Garden Sprayer or Smith Contractor 2-Gallon Sprayer for Weed Killers
- Measure out and dilute the concentrated herbicide in the sprayer according to the weed killer instructions. Always test product on a small, inconspicuous area before applying to entire lawn. Killex is safe for lawns, but obviously… don’t spray your flowers and plants, duh! 6 mL (0.2oz) of Killex mixed with 1 L of water will cover approximately 5 square meters or 50 square feet.
- Spot spray the weeds throughout your lawn and garden with the weed killer according to the instructions. Be sure to fully saturate each weed entirely before moving on to your next victim.
- Within a week or two, you should see the weeds within your lawn start to wither and die! (Optional: Maniacal laugh).
Pros: Very effective, time-saving, economic, easy to use, can use as close as 3 hours prior to rain (We once used it an hour before a flash storm hit and it still worked).
Cons: Ortho maintains runoff is safe, but at the same time I wouldn’t be dumping this stuff in a body of water.
Method 3: Pouring Boiling Water to Kill Weeds
- Simply put a big ol’ pot of water on to boil. Fact or Fiction: Water doesn’t boil if you watch it 😉
- Put on some oven gloves and rubber boots to protect your digits.
- Pour boiling water over weeds. Best used as a weed killer for weeds between cracks of patio stones, landscaping rocks or concrete. Warning: This method will likely kill grass or any other desired plant water contacts.
Pros: No chemicals, great for reaching between cracks
Cons: Effectiveness inconsistent, can be time-consuming for large areas, cannot spot treat weeds in lawn
Whichever method you choose, monitor your lawn and repeat treatments as necessary.
Now, go forth and slay some weeds! Good luck!